Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2000

Re: Re: [sharechat] Transcript of ITC Q

From: Chris Tse <christse@internet.co.nz>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 09:53:46 +1300

G'day Grant

I have no idea who Jeff Dittus has in mind when he talks about "combine with other cash rich public companies with beaten down market values".

With the dramatic fall in tech valuations since April, I guess there may be a number of companies whose market cap has fallen below NTA (as in ITC's case) or even below their cash reserves, and this would present an opportunity for ITC to enlarge it's capital base and funds under management.

It may be an opportunistic way of gaining the critical mass they need to be an effective VC company, but I would caution : (i) "cheap" assets is not synonymous with "quality" assets; and (ii) mergers involve a coming together of people and culture, as well as company assets, and if the former two aspects aren't compatible then problems may arise.

I guess we will just have to wait for the announcement to find out if something is indeed cooking, but like you, I would generally look at it as a positive outcome for shareholders.

Chris