Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2000

Re: [sharechat] Transcript of ITC Q&A - but where's theshareholder benefits?

From: Chris Tse <christse@internet.co.nz>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 20:04:54 +1300

G'day Hugh

1. Surely the way to reward shareholders is to focus on your vision and put
all your utmost efforts into achieving that vision. After all, that is
presumably why your shareholders bought into the company in the first
place. The moment you start compromising your business objectives in an
attempt to appease shareholders, then you lose focus, take your eye off the
ball and you find yourself on your way down the slippery slope. Isn't this
what happened to BIL when they attempted to "engineer" annual dividends
year after year to appease their dividend hungry shareholders?

2. Having said that, it must be frustrating for a CEO to see the stock
price trading at such low levels, particularly for a VC company where a
strong stock price is required for capital raisings, stock currency deals,
etc. As I understand, at current prices, ITC is trading around 20% below
NTA, and that is conservatively calculating the carrying value of their
investments at cost. But what can you do about it if the main reason for
the weak stock price is weak investor sentiment towards the tech sector or
the state of the equity markets in general, other than focus on your
business plan and let the stock price take care of itself?

3. Yes, I admit that the size of ITC is a concern. In a weak market,
capital raisings are probably not the way to go. Partnerships and alliances
are a good idea and I see ITC has already moved in this area with the
Singapore deal. Increasing capital under management is also a good idea,
and this is what they are attempting to do with the China deal.
With regards to expanding outside NZ, they are also already doing this, by
targeting new investments in Australia and China which they can feed into
their worldwide network of VC expertise and capital. One part of their
pan-Asian strategy that I definitely like is the widening of their contacts
in the major Asian capital markets, as this increases their options for
IPOs (still, I feel, the nirvana for VC companies). Just because the NZ or
Australian markets happen to be non receptive of tech IPOs at any one time,
doesn't mean the Singapore or Hong Kong markets are too.

4. Aaahhh China! Enjoyed reading your comments, and you are quite right,
the list of crash and burn victims who dared to "enter the dragon" is long,
distinguished, and still growing. But let's try and read behind the
headlines and examine the fine print for a moment.
Firstly, there are some success stories as well as the horror stories. Take
Affco, for example, whose foray into China has been a positive experience
so far. I have my own theories about doing business in China but I won't
bore you with them on this forum.
Secondly, despite my reservations about them not being "on the ground" in
China, ITC are actually taking a prudent approach to their China deal. They
seem to have picked a good local partner, according to their own
assessment, which is half the battle when it comes to succeeding in the
Chinese market. They are also wary of risking their own capital in the
venture - remember that ITC is controlling the fund, but their portion of
the capital comes from an "ITC-led consortium of investors". So it's not
all their own dough, but they have control, and they are clipping the
ticket along the way in terms of management fees, so it's a nice position
to be in.

5. So, overall, I am quite happy with the direction that ITC is taking and
am comfortable holding the stock. In fact, at today's prices, I would
definitely be thinking about topping up...

Chris