Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - December 2000

Re: [sharechat] Isaac Sofaer's view

From: "G Stolwyk" <stolwyk@wave.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 20:38:46 +1300

Geoff,

I am joining you in thanking Ben and his team, and to wish them and my co-contributors a merry Christmas!!

I agree that the outlook is difficult. We had the tulip, IT,and communications manias; what is next?
One would think that the pharmaceutical sector still has something left to offer. One or two overseas infrastructure stocks could be suitable for investment.
Another look at some British investment trusts may pay, but a lot more research is needed to pull a bunny out of the hat.
However, I have already mentally adjusted myself to sluggish markets next year.

It is always possible that an opportunity may arise if the East has problems again or that there will be another event which may affect markets.

In the meantime, let us see how the US deals with their deficits and private debt. A lot of money has been lost in the markets by many but some made a lot as well.

Come to think of it, citizens of some other countries are also heavy into debt; we need a period of adjustment!

Gerry