Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2000

[sharechat] Something re fund performances in Oz

From: "P Maiden" <pmaiden@xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 10:24:40 +1300

Notwithstanding what we think about fund managers we could compare our own investing performance against theirs.

No doubt the main reason we bypass funds is because we believe we can do better - and because their benchmark and perfromance is tied to an index or two.  By default comparing performance to a basket of winners and losers!

Today's Sydney Morning Herald had some insight as to recent fund manager performance =

Summary -

........Over the 10 years to August 31, the average fund manager added 3.2 per cent a year on

        top of the index  return (in this case, the S&P/ASX200 Accumulation index) in falling markets .......

........and just 0.8 per cent in rising ones.

........the average manager outperformed the market in 61 per cent of months where the market fell.....

....... compared with 54 per cent of months where the market was rising.

Quite a good article - have a read over the weekend

What's your own performance compared to this performance?  Mine's better

Peter.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] WRI Warner Lamb