Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - October 2000

[sharechat] Ports

From: Dick O Connor <problast@altavista.com>
Date: 25 Oct 2000 15:20:56 -0700

Thanks to those who responded yesterday to my query for information on ports.
Marilyn: I was interested in your reference to containers, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd. I
knew containers were big at POA, but POT had often stressed the importance of
logs out to them. Are containers important to all ports or is there some
variation? And, by way of interest, how did you come by your belief in
containers?
Warner: Interesting to see the figures set out like you did. LPC is a bit of an
enigma isn't it - the lowest PE and the highest price to NTA.I'm tempted to
make this my second choice after POA.
I'm still hoping that some more serious analysis might come in on this subject.
Our ports are obviously going to be with us for a long time and one hopes they
won't end up like so many other NZ assets and get sold off to buyers in other
countries.
They will probably continue to be important investments and the object of this
exercise is to try to figure out which are offering the best current returns
and which have the best future prospects. The three most important figures to
me are EPS, dividends, and return on shareholder funds.
I have these figures for the 2000 year from POA which are  32.3c   18c   and
18%. Can anyone help with the figures for the other listed ports (I can get the
prior years from the Investment Year Books) and any comments?

Free Unlimited Internet Access! Try it now!
http://www.zdnet.com/downloads/altavista/index.html