Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - September 2000

Re: Re: [sharechat] Computers

From: Brian Gale <brigale@i4free.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2000 09:55:43 +1200

Hi David

When you upgraded you would have had a much better video card included and this is why you would notice  a big improvement in graphics etc. The complexity of  current video displays require extra memory on the video cards - used to be 1-2 Mb now at least 8Mb.  Games of course need the best video and on older machines accelerator cards were used - now good video comes on the motherboard.  Without this the extra processor speed would have little effect. This is the item to check on older machines as an upgraded card will make a big difference to video without changing anything else.

There have been numerous improvements to motherboards in the latest machines including incorporating the items which previously had been extra cards fitted into slots and all this makes for better performance.

The original question I posed related to processor speed which on its own will not make a tremendous difference to the operation of most standard programmes like word processing, spreadsheets and business packages. It's a bit like having a 200 kph car in a 100 kph speed limit.

Regards
Brian