Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - August 2000

Re: [sharechat] CAH & CEN

From: Derek <dkw@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 27 Aug 2000 08:25:05 +1200

Thanks for your comments Hugh, I can't really comment on Buffet since I
haven't read any of his books.

The size of companies like CAH must make a large barrier to entry for new
players in the business. At current levels you can buy into CAH at about
2/3 cost of plant, equipment & other assets, therefore whatever the
returnon assets is that they can muster, the return on share price is about
50% more.  This has to be a good situation for shareholders. I think the
death of rain forests has been happening, not just for timber though.

PVC isn't a green technology and environmental factors are going to play an
increasing part in purchasing decisions. I wouldn't say that Aluminium
smelting is very environmentally friendly either (Cd - the death of the
bluff oyster?). Due to run-off from pine plantations one could also argue
that they aren't very green either, although in my mind they are the best
choice. Can't see paper being replaced and I don't see many new NZ
buildings being build without wood.

About your last point, I don't think that CAH is a magnificient bargain,
just a bit of a bargain.

Cheers,
Derek