Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - July 2000

[sharechat] Racist comments

From: Chris <cd@ak.planet.gen.nz>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 15:18:30 +1200

Graham,

You exude the pungent smell of racism.

For the record, it's Maori not 'moari' and the language is Maori.  There
are more than half a million people in this country who call themselves
Maori.  Kohanga reo is more widely practised today than it has been for
80 years or more.  You label it a senseless language.  Well, I think it
more relevant for Maori(and Pakeha that choose) to speak and sing in
Maori, at home, on marae or wherever than to recite a bit of German.  It
is senseless to you who makes no effort to understand its' significance.

Both National's Doug Graham and the current coalition have made important
strides to address issues that disadvantage Maori.  Mistakes will be made
and criticism will be showered.  Let's hope that we do not resort to
playing the 'race card response' when we don't understand and have no
interest in understanding.

Your response Graham is sadly a destructive simplistic soundbite that
should not go unchecked.  I invite you to engage your mind.

Regards,

Chris Darby
cd@pl.net