RE: [sharechat] VIRUS WARNING

From: Nigel McCarter <n.mccarter@clear.net.nz>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2000 14:12:57 +1200

g.

I received the warning from NIWA and rebroadcast to the safe-nz list (which
is run from NIWA computers) and to share chat, and I though I had edited
out the NIWA specific bits for share chat, but obviously hadn't.  Apologies
for the slight confusion, though not for the virus warning.

You can get virus protection from a number of sites, including symantec
(Norton) and MacAfee (which is what I use).

I would appear at the moment that you can avoid the virus by (a) not
opening any ILOVEYOU email (how many of us get those on a regular basis
from Share chat, or not using OUTLOOK.

At 01:28 PM 5/5/00 +1200, you wrote:
>RECOMMENDATION/PROTECTION:
>Symantec Antivirus Research Center (SARC) researchers have analysed this
>worm and have a complete virus definition set available at:
>*      www.symantecstore.com/Pages/Support/CSsupport.html
>*      www.digitalriver.com/symantec
>

>> Subject: [sharechat] VIRUS WARNING
>>

>> > You may have heard on the news this morning that a new email virus is
>> > rapidly making its way
>> > around the world.  It comes as a message with the title ILOVEYOU, and
>> > contains an attachment
>> > which, if opened, will send itself on to everybody in the address book
>> of
>> > people using the Microsoft

Nigel McCarter
Safety Management and Information Services Ltd
Box 23 019 Hamilton
Phone 64 7 858 2429 Fax 64 858 2689
Mobile 02 212 4901

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.