Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2000

Re: [sharechat] Virtual Spectator pg 8 NBR

From: "nick" <acummin@es.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 19:15:47 +1200

            This virtual spectator hype i find puzzling. Think about it
logically
and really it just dosent stack up.  Lets look at formula one. A fast moving
sport
which is currently very well covered by television. Why would anyone want to
watch it via a choppy signal on a computer screen?
       Now to golf, the same applies and anyone wanting live scores for
non televised events can do so at any number of sites, i cant see a huge
advantage in having a few second rate pictures.
      Sure it was good for yachting, tracking boats which move at a snails
pace,
but thats rather a limited market.
                 Lets look on the brightside for virtual spectator if there
is one.
      Lets assume that live viewable sports coverage takes off on the
internet,
 in that scenario there will be many big players pouring millions into the
technology,
and once the big boys come in virtual spectator would probably be left on
the sidelines,
however there is a chance one of the big players would buy the technology
from
vs which could result in a one off windfall
          I suspect the best vs can hope for is a few more yachting events,
certainly not
enough to return big reward for shareholders.