Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2000

[sharechat] More Nufarm news

From: "nick" <acummin@es.co.nz>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 06:46:45 +1200

 -   BUSINESS
Article.section

Nufarm eyes greater stake in IAMA

By ANTHONY HUGHES

The renamed trans-Tasman chemicals group Nufarm may lift its stake in struggling rural merchandiser IAMA as talk of another bout of rationalisation in the sector builds.

A spokesman for Nufarm said yesterday the company had bought the 6 per cent stake in 1998 because it was "not going to stand on the sidelines" and would not rule out raising the stake.

Nufarm, formerly Fernz Corp before switching its home base from New Zealand to Australia, bought the IAMA stake in 1998 for $2 a share. The shares have since slid to $1.24.

Nufarm is seen as being vitally interested in having a competitive distribution sector because it is worried its margins could be hurt in a market consolidation. IAMA is one of at least six distributors Fernz uses, including Futuris Corporation's Elders and Wesfarmers-Dalgety.

"Distribution in the Australian market is a part of the business that takes a fair cut (of the company's margin)," the spokesman said.

"We did not invest in IAMA to make a profitable investment. In the distribution market generally we are not going to stand on the sidelines."

Nufarm, which has a crop protection business making a range of agricultural chemicals, yesterday reported net profit of $10.66 million for the eight months to January, consistent with a move to switch its end for year balance date from May to July. Interim dividend is 6c. The company's shares have risen from $2.70 last month to $3.37, largely because the company will join the new ASX200 index when it is instituted next week.

The company said it was on track for a full-year profit of $50 million, driven by large seasonal contributions of businesses in North America and Europe.

In addition to crop care, the company is also a global supplier of industrial and specialty chemicals.

"We remain extremely ambitious in terms of our growth outlook. We believe that as the (chemical) industry continues to rationalise internationally that opportunities will come Nufarm's way," the spokesman said.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] BRY in Singapore Richard Hooper