Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2000

Re: [sharechat] IMPORTANT Airvb analogy for today!

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 19:14:59 +1200

I haven't read all the emails on this but isn't it time for a dose of
realism on this?
QANTAS isn't going to buy, its a spoiling tactic, it doesn't fit, they're
in two different
international alliances (which are mutually exclusive for a start) STAR &
Whatsit,
the Oz government would never allow QANTAS to take over ANSETT Oz, BIL/Air
NZ
need to realise the synergies between ANSETT and Air NZ to enhance their
combined
value.
All this pales in comparison with the political reality. Labour/Alliance is
in until at least
November 2002 (not that I'm enthusiastic). They will never allow an
overseas outfit to
take more than 25% using the B shares.
Also it only needs one overseas competitor with a sadistic streak to mount
a legal
challenge to BIL's artificially rigged method of claiming Air NZ is NZ
owned and all their
overseas landing rights collapse in a heap.
I'm so glad I got out at $3.40.
Maybe 2003 will be a different story....

cheers,
hugh
----------
> From: richard hermans <r.m.hermans@xtra.co.nz>
> To: sharechat@sharechat.co.nz
> Subject: Re: [sharechat] IMPORTANT Airvb analogy for today!
> Date: Wednesday, 29 March 2000 10:51
>
> mpbeatson@mailroom.com wrote:
> >
> > They say you can't lead a horse to water.....and was it Terry Hall of
> > the Sunday Star Times who said last weekend that Kiwi investors won't
> > believe it (i.e. sale of a stake in AirNZ) until they see it.
> > This is not a punt,it is a foregone conclusion that a sale will happen
> > (to whomever)as Brett Phillips correctly pointed out last night.
> >
> > Here's a simple analogy.
> >
> > AOL is interested in buying a 25% stake in Solution 6 which has just
> > completed purchase of the remaining 50% of Telemedia that it didn't
> > own.
> >
> > Yahoo, realising it might be losing ground in the Australasia region,
> > decides to make a similar offer for Solution 6.
> >
> > Solution 6, still caught up in the throes of buying up Telemedia,
> > decides for some "time out" to assess the bids of the potential buyers.
> >
> > Solution 6 shares are currently trading at A$12.50 but Merrill Lynch
> > have stated that the true value of the stock is A$18.25.
> >
> > Questions to ask yourself:
> > 1. If you had Solution 6 shares, would you ditch your shares and sell?
> >
> > 2. If you did not have Solution 6 shares and had spare cash to invest,
> > would you go out and buy some?
> >
> > Happy investing today,
> >
> > Murray Beatson

> > This Message was Powered by Xcel Communications
> > Sign up for your FREE EMAIL account today at http://www.mailroom.com
> > Give your FAX machine an email address http://www.faxroom.com

> > http://www.sharechat.co.nz/          New Zealand's home for market
investors
> > To remove yourself from this list, please us the form at
> > http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.
> Where did you read that soln 6 has bought Telemedia???? I have seen
> nothing of this news ???please enlighten???Thanks Margie

> http://www.sharechat.co.nz/          New Zealand's home for market
investors
> To remove yourself from this list, please us the form at
> http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: Re: [sharechat] secondary board info on the web? Derek Watt