Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2000

[sharechat] News from S'pore about the BRY/AirNZ deal

From: "simon dallimore" <smndallimore@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 13:04:39 NZST

I have read the article about the
botched/stalled/whatever-you-may-like-to-call-it Bry/AirNZ/SIA deal in the
NZ Herald.
I have read the article in The Independent today about how the NZ Herald is
alleged to have misreported the situation.
I have read Nick Bryant's message on Sharechat today about the situation
(and I respect Nick's views as an NBR journalist).
But I have also read a recent article about the entire fiasco in Singapore's
Straits Times.......and after all of this, I can assure you that I have no
intention of buying any AIRVB shares at all as I do not believe, despite
what the BRY/AirNZ PR machines may be saying, that the deal will go through.
I attach below news extracts from Singapore's Straits Times:

1.(from article written by Nicholas Fang)
Meanwhile, Kay Hian aviation analyst Peggy Mak told the Straits Times
yesterday that Sir Selwyn's reported demand of NZ$3 was too high a price for
the shares.
"It's too high and if it stays at that level, we would rather SIA not go for
it. It's not a must-have, now SIA has the Virgin deal to fall back on."

2.(from article written by Cornelia Tan)
Said Kay Hian's Peggy Mak: "If, however, SIA fails to get a 40 per cent
stake and ends up with 25 per cent instead, what will be the impact?
Ms Mak felt that "it should be either 40 per cent or nothing".
She added: "If SIA's stake goes below 40 per cent, then they don't have a
say and will not be able to use this stake to round up their route
networks."

We have read the news items emanating from NZ, and now we have the news from
Singapore. Who are we more likely to believe?

Simon