Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - March 2000

RE: [sharechat] AMP - TWR ?

From: Derek Watt <dkw@paradise.net.nz>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 20:35:43 +1300

At 08:08 AM 3/2/00 +1300, you wrote:
>Hi Derek,
>
>Tower have a 10% share cap. written into the company constitution.  This
>means that no one person or company can own more than 10% of the company for
>the first 4 years they are a listed company.  In saying that however one of
>the company directors did mention to me at the pre-listing broker
>presentation that if some-one (and I think he was referring to GPG at the
>time) were to make a "fair and reasonable offer" for the whole company then
>it might be considered.
>
>There has been 'institutional' buying in Tower this week but on very small
>volumes.  It has helped the price slightly but the shares performance
>reminds me of Sovereign and it's lacklustre performance after listing and
>takeover by ASB.  Tower may have done it's shareholders a dis-service by
>setting a share cap.
>
>Kind regards,
>
>Sarah Corkill
>Direct Broking

Thanks Sarah, I appreciate your comments, I wasn't aware of the 10% cap,
although from what you say it sounds like anyone determined enough could
overcome it.
Apparently a buyer of Tower would also have a problem with a great many long
lost shareholders whose shares are being held in trust (someone mentioned a
figure
of 30% of shareholders I think).

Hugh, I don't know about a takeover being the only hope for TWR shareholders.
At current prices it makes quite a nice yield share for a diversified
portfolio.
Also there may be some capital gains next time the sharemarket picks up, in
a more
buoyant market I would expect TWRCA to be at about $3 (I bought a few at
$2.00 today,
now watch them fall !).

Cheers,
Derek.