Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2000

[sharechat] NBR

From: "Mike Hudson" <mikehudson@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2000 19:09:13 +1300

There are two articles in the latest addition of the NBR which may be of
interest to members of this forum. Unfortunately as I type with my feet I
don't ability to copy them to this list. Perhaps another list member may be
able to oblige.

The first one is on page 28 by Vincent Heeringa entitled "Stock Exchange
fails to address punter crisis." Its thrust is that the share market in NZ
is dying, The final sentences read "The Stock Exchange is in grave danger of
sliding into irrelevance ro investors and companies alike. Right now, it
doesn't seem to care."

The second article is on a subject dear to most of our hearts - tech stocks.
It is on page 43, by Patrick O'Brien and headed "Technology stocks clear
leaders but flywheels might fall off some." One para that amused me;

 "It is worth noting that, in common with many companies overseas, share
prices in some New Zealand technology based companies rose massively before
the groups have earned anything; a variation on the mining sector maxim that
you never ruin a good mine by putting a hole in the ground"

Both articles are worth reading

Cheers
Mike H

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.