Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2000

Re: [sharechat] Hugh, Mike, Dave

From: "tennyson@caverock.net.nz" <tennyson@caverock.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 16:48:30 +0000

> Firstly, I strongly believe in the use of Index Funds as a basic
> foundation of any investor with a long term view.
>
> In the last 10 years in the US 85% of Mutual Funds have under
> performed their comparative Indexes. I have no reason to believe NZ
> Mutual Funds have done any better

So why not invest in the 15% that outperform the index?
NZ does have the ridiculous situation where Mutual Funds are taxed at
a higher rate than private citizens and Index Funds which doesn't
help.

> In general I am not a fan of actively managed Mutual Funds. They
> generally have excessive entry and exit fees,

If they didn't have entry and exit fees they may be hijacked by day
traders, which would reduce their appeal to the long term investor.

> hold large numbers of stocks  (sometimes 1000s),

I 'have heard' that the S&P 500 index funds hold 500 stocks.   It's
of the same order.

> We always like to have a % of  cash in reserve and if the "bubble"
> burst we'll be in like a robbers dog.

Brierley in GPG has had the same thoughts and has been sitting on a
mountain of cash for a while now.    As a consequence teh GPG share
price has gone nowhere of late.  How much cash (in percentage of your
total assets terms) do you think it is prudent to sit on?  SNOOPY

Message sent by Snoopy
e-mail  tennyson@caverock.net.nz
on Pegasus Mail version 2.55
"You can tell me I'm wrong twice,
but that still only makes me wrong once."

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.