Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - January 2000

Re: Re: [sharechat] NZSE etc. etc.

From: "hugh webber" <hugh.webber@clear.net.nz>
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2000 10:03:00 +1300

excuse me from rabbiting on so much, I'll shut-up for a while after this!

People have alleged that the NZSE is about the worst performing stock
exchange in the OECD or the West or whatever but in terms of gross dividend
yield I'd be surprised if NZ wasn't the best in the world at the moment.
Why go offshore for lower less dependable returns? What's wrong with shares
like say Hallensteins (brilliant gross dividend return and has been
maintaining it for years) which is increasing the momentum of its initial
foray into Australia?

Tony mentioned a life-style choice which is fair enough. People decide on
their objectives which may be maximising their tax free income, or having a
flutter for interest, or going only for short term risky capital gain but
life-style is another valid choice - its a question of when in your life
you are able or want to make it.

I think my wife would veto mine! I recall hearing of one case recently
where the guy retired after 40 years hard labour and said to his wife "I'm
off to Stewart Island for good. You're welcome to come too but if you don't
want to that's ok too."
He went by himself, but he's still happily down there.

http://www.sharechat.co.nz/forum.html.

Messages by Date [ Next by Date: [sharechat] Hugh, Mike, Dave Brian Brakenridge