Sharechat Logo

Forum Archive Index - November 1999

Re: [sharechat] Transalta Takeover

From: tennyson@caverock.net.nz
Date: Mon, 1 Nov 1999 15:44:32 +1300

Quoting Brent Wheeler <brentw@bwcl.co.nz>:

> * Survival for the Trust seems likely to dominate their behaviour.
>
> *    For TransAlta there are probably benefits in getting rid of
> untidyness - but at what cost?

According to Transalta the cost they are prepared to pay is $2.50 per
share.  My impression, after reading the Grant Samuels independent report
 is that this is too low for the following reasons:

1/ The Samuals report does not value imputation credits.  From the point of
view of the shareholders selling out who will be losing these benefits surely
this is a mistake.
2/ No attempt is made to allow for the benefit of integrating the existing
retail businesses.   As Transalta is the largest retailer in the country
these could be considerable, but at the very least shouldn't be ignored.
3/ Future Transalta earnings are discounted using a guesstimated 'Beta' value.
This severely discounts the value of future Transalta earnings.   Yet Transalta
did have a choice about whether they were to become a lines company or a retail
company.  They chose retail which would provide more volatile yet overall
higher returns.  Personally I think Transalta made the right choice.  I don't
see a shortage of generation capacity any time soon and consequently think that
the 'Beta' value chosen by Samuels was too high, and unfairly discounts the
value of the Transalta retail business.

> Verdict?  I would incline to the private sector player who is at least
> accountable via share price/takeover threat etc..

As a matter of principle I would tend to agree.   But for the reasons given
above I can't agree with the conclusions of the Grant Samuels report.

> If one was too concerned a possible way out is
> to buy some TransAlta stock - a sort of "be part of the team not one
> of the crowd" strategy.

I am starting to warm to this idea.  Wait for the bid to expire (that will get
rid of the weak sellers) and the share price to ease.  Then buy in on the cheap!

>An alternative would be to become a beneficiary of the trust
> Trust and play up, eg, demand to see the independent valuation.

That means going to live in Lower Hutt!  Ugh, I'm not that desperate!
 ;-)SNOOPY