Friday 16th December 2011
|Text too small?|
Sanford, the fishing company indicted by the US coastguard over alleged polluting by the San Nikunau working out of American Samoa, has reached agreement for the release of the tuna fishing vessel.
Sanford faces seven charges including obstruction of justice relating the boat after an investigation by the US Coast Guard which it has vowed to fight “vigorously”.
The agreement requires Sanford to post a bond of US$1 million to cover potential fines or penalties and for the company to make the crew available as witnesses at the hearings, said Eric Barratt, managing director, in a statement to the NZX.
The company will continue to defend the charges and expects the case to come to trial early in 2012, Barratt said.
The vessel, one of three large-scale freezer tuna purse seiners operated by Sanford in the Pacific, will resume fishing for skipjack tuna, which is sold to two canneries in Pago Pago, after the deal with the US Justice Department.
The San Nikunau is one of two Sanford vessels detained in American Samoa, with the San Nanumea held over injury claims from current and former crew, the company said last month.
Sanford shares jumped as much as 4 percent after the announcement and were recently up 0.5 percent to $3.87.
No comments yet
Sanford names Volker Kuntzsch as CEO, replacing Barratt
Sanford faces three charges relating to illegal dumping of oil at sea
Sanford annual profit to miss forecast on lower skipjack tuna, toothfish and mussel harvest
Sanford annual profit falls 6.7% on mussel farm restructuring
Former Sanford engineer faces up to 26 years jail for obstruction
Sanford's Barratt 'disappointed' at US guilty verdict
US withdraws US24M 'proceeds of crime' claim against Sanford
Sanford full-year profit falls 11% as kiwi dollar's strength erodes returns in second half
Sanford annual profit falls as much as 12% on strong kiwi, lower tuna catch
Sanford holds dividend as earnings soar